Wednesday, July 29, 2009

7 Lives...If He's Lucky

Some of you know about my cat. This is the cat that I love and hate all at the same time. This is the cat that I have refused to name because he isn't really "my" cat. My neighbor's daughter named him Fuzzy and we don't call him that name much, but we don't call him anything else either other than cat & kitty. Well, whatever the case may be, we have been feeding him since March of 08. He's ours. We like to say we share him with the doctor a few houses down. He does like their expensive veterinarian food better, but he knows where home is for sure. He comes galloping down the street every time we pull in. He also likes to go for walks in the evenings. Anyhow. You may have heard my horror story about a month ago with the cat. I forgot to blog about it. I was quite possibly suffering from a little PTSD. It was really quite traumatic at the time. I left my house with my brother, drove out of our development, drove down lockwood and eventually reached 45 mph. That was right about the time when I heard pounding on top of my car and started ducking down as if the roof was falling in. Silly me. I glanced in my rear view mirror with just enough time to see our cat fly off of the back of my car and into the woods beside us. I slammed on the brakes, we ran up and down the woods, but we could not find him! Eventually, we had to get on our way and drove wherever we were intending to go. I got home around 8 o'clock and Josh had just pulled in as well. He said he was going to look for the cat and started down the street on foot. I ran inside to get a can of food to leave by the woods if we couldn't find him. I walked back outside and the cat was sleeping in our driveway! I could not believe he had found his way home!~
So, now he was down to 8 lives...
This brings us to last week.
I came home and pulled in the garage. The cat was hungry and crying and I promised to come right out and feed him. I just needed to unload the groceries and I was coming back out to leave. I unloaded the groceries and came right back out, forgetting his food of course. He wasn't around so I got in the car and pulled out. I was sitting in the street watching the garage go down and could see the cat falling down from the top of the garage. His legs kept coming down and going up as he was trying to figure out what to do. It was like watching my mother on a treadmill. VERY uncoordinated, but not quite as funny (at the time). I was afraid to open it back up because I thought he would get stuck so instead I watched helplessly as it closed and went all the way down. The garage was sitting completely on the ground and at the top was the entire rear end of my cat. I don't know if you can quite picture it. His tail, hind legs and hips were outside of the TOP of the garage, while it was closed. Unfortunately, there are NO sensors at the top!!! What were they thinking when they designed these "safety" features? Did they not take helpless, overfed stray animals into consideration? So, I opened the garage door and plop, down came the cat and a rather large chunk of fur. He shook it off. I don't know how. My behind ran back inside as quickly as I could and got him a CAN of cat food for a special treat. After all, I almost killed him for the second time in maybe a month?
But, really, how could I have prevented this one?
I just had a thought...I am seeing a pattern here...
Could it be possible that the cat is getting injured to trick me into giving him special cans of food instead of the dry, boring stuff?
You might want to think twice before asking me to pet sit for you :)