Friday, February 29, 2008

The Wedding of Q and U!





We had a huge celebration at school for Q and U. They were united to form words forever! For those of you that are not in the same mind frame...We tell the kids that Q and U get married so they can form the sound "kwah" to form many words. Our principal conducted the ceremony and made it official! We had so much fun. We had a reception after the ceremony back in the classroom with punch and wedding cake. We even opened wedding gifts. All of the children were asked to create a wedding present at home and wrap the gift. Every gift had to be something that begins with qu. We had quilts made of quaker oats, quarters, a quart filled with quarters, a poem all about the happy couple, and LOTS of great ideas made by our creative families! Our room moms did such an incredible job setting up for the ceremony. They even made bouquets, veils, top hats and all kinds of other wedding fun. There was even a party pooper. Every party has to have one. Ours was Dave Weber from the Orlando Sentinel. Check out what he had to say here... http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_education_edblog/2008/03/groom-may-break.html although I don't really feel it is worth your time. He apparently missed out on all of the fun in kindergarten and the basic lesson that qu make the sound kwah. He did not list a single example that makes this sound. It is people like him that over-analyze things and take the fun from public schools! We had such a great day and I know it is something the children will remember forever. Part of the reason I insisted on having this whole ceremony is because Josh remembers the entire speech that was given at his kindergarten wedding ceremony over 20 years later. That to me is empowering!


2 comments:

MAUREEN said...

I can remember when I got married in Kindergarten! It was to Tommy Johnson & we got to parade thru the whole school (Even tho it was a one room divided school house!) Then we got to go down the slide together!! Aunt Flora made my dress. I am 51 & I still remmember it vividly!!
MIL

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.